We’ve all participated in word-of-mouth marketing, also known as WOMM. (How many times has a friend said, “You have to watch that new series on Netflix”?) Word-of-mouth marketing is one of the oldest and most effective forms of marketing. People naturally want to share their good, and bad, experiences. And ultimately, people are more likely to follow recommendations when they come from a friend or family member.
“92 percent of consumers around the world trust recommendations from friends and family over any other type of advertising.” –Nielson
Look Who’s Talking
In general, there are two forms of WOMM. One happens organically, often referred to as traditional WOMM. Like the example above, it takes place through natural conversation. The second form of WOMM is often referred to as modern and is actively initiated through a planned, strategic marketing effort. (Interestingly, the modern form of WOMM can often generate traditional WOMM.) Here, we’ll be exploring modern methods of WOMM and how each can help you manage the conversation.
1. Build trust
One way to optimize WOMM is simple but not necessarily easy: Do your very best. Each and every day, give your customers a reason to recommend you.
- Offer value. Whatever product or service you offer, make it valuable.
- Market yourself as a thought leader. Master the ins and outs of your industry, and share your knowledge.
- Provide exceptional customer service. Commit to understanding and improving the customer experience.
2. Build your brand
- Visual appearance. Do your marketing materials look like the work of your twelve-year-old nephew? A professional logo, color palette and design affect your perceived value.
- Be consistent. Any material with your company name on it should speak your brand, both from a graphic and a content perspective. That includes everything from your website, emails and landing pages to printed collateral and business cards.
- Communicate your brand. If you don’t have them already, get your company values and mission statement in writing. Then translate them into everything you do.
“Whether you are B2B or B2C, between 50 and 91 percent of all purchases are influenced by word-of-mouth in some way.” –Forbes
3. Participate on social media
You don’t need a multi-million-dollar advertising budget to reach millions of people. But you do need a strategy.
- Know your target market. Who is your audience, and where do they tend to congregate online? What content do they respond to? Do they prefer formal or more casual messaging? If you don’t know the answers to these questions, find out.
- Build your community. The more engaged your customers, the more likely they are to talk about you.
- Reach out to influencers. Identify the trendsetters in your industry, and strike up a conversation.
- Don’t forget your staff. People who feel appreciated and part of the team can be your fiercest supporters.
And finally, don’t miss an opportunity to capitalize on a positive review. Proudly reserve a spot on your website for glowing customer testimonials.
How Marketopia Can Help
If you’re looking for innovative ways to generate leads, you’ve come to the right place. Our content creation team can collaborate with you to ensure your social posts are optimized and on point. From our content, design and digital teams to our appointment setters and sales team, you’ll have a whole agency behind your company when you work with Marketopia. Contact us today to learn more.
Using Science and Data to Generate Profit When it comes to introducing your business to potential investors, employees...
Marketopia Announces Charity Car Wash to Support Pace Center for Girls Local Event to Raise Awareness and Funds for...
Like any savvy business owner, you want to get the most return on your investments. Marketing spend is no exception. But if you’re like most MSP owners, marketing isn’t your area of expertise.